Skip to main content

Autism is a BLESSING


It was a rainy evening and I was alone that time since Dirk’s dad needs to work. I felt uneasy and decided to go to the washroom. To my amazement, my bag of water broke. Good thing I still have presence of mind, I immediately get my baby bag and rush to the hospital. I was bit confused that time because the baby inside is not moving, I was thinking maybe he was sleeping inside. I was advised to go home and that really annoys me because I was in pain. I went home and go back after how many hours since I can’t feel the baby moving inside. When the nurses and doctors checked, they decided to do an emergency Cesarean Section because the baby is having cord coil.


After an hour in the operating room, our Dirk Ludwig came out. My only hope that time is everything will be ok. Few hours passed by and I was wondering why I am the only mother who has no baby beside me. The doctor talked to us directly informing Dirk is not ok. I can’t move a single part of my body after hearing that words. He had blood infection and meningitis and stayed more than a month in NICU. I asked the Doctor what would possibly happen to my son if he can survive, the Doctor was very straight forward on his answer, he might grow up not normal. As a Mom, my top priority and concern is he will live no matter what. 


After 45 days, our little bundle of joy went home with us and we made sure he will get all the right nutrients he needs. Everything was normal but when he turned 1, he still can’t talk. Every time we call his name he will not respond or even look at us. I enrolled him to private preschool here in Cebu. The owner of the school talked to me and asked my opinion if I am ok to have Dirk checked by a Developmental Pediatrician. I did what I think was the best. 


Dirk then was diagnosed with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) when he was 2 years old. I was denial at first when the diagnosis was made but I need to think what the best for him would be. I am fortunate enough that Dirk had a very good Occupational Therapist at Bridging Homes. He was nonverbal at 2 but after a few months, he started to talk. 

My Dirk Ludwig


As he grows, he learned and able to observe what is happening around him. He excels in a lot of things and even started to show his personality. He loves hot wheel cars (he has a collection of those), he loves play dough and legos. He loves to sing, dance, color and draw.


To be honest, the struggle is real, tantrums and mood swings is our enemy. Both Dirk and I is learning how to deal and adjust. Not only the struggle but also the judgement of others every time they see Dirk having a meltdown. Our journey has just begun, and I always remind my self that autism is a blessing.

Comments