Skip to main content

Savings and Investments = BIG WORD!

We are gearing towards a new year once again. I am looking forward to a fruitful and blessed 2020 for all of us.  For me, a new year means another added year (getting a year older) and it made me feel anxious and nervous when I started to think about what will happen to Dirk and I.

Just thinking what 2020 will bring. 

I am not getting any younger and my Dirk is growing fast as well. I have been working for 10 years and I have not saved enough for both of us (literally). Regardless of how much we planned for everything but there will always be unforeseen events that cause our savings to be used up. 

It takes a lot of discipline to save (no joke). I cannot deny the fact that I love to buy unnecessary stuff (I think others can relate as well) and will regret it at the end of the day.  Useless spending has been by stress reliever but I started to restrain myself on this aspect and started to think thrice before spending on anything unless it is needed. 

Another weakness of mine is when it comes to Dirk. Until now even he is already 7 years old, It's very hard for me to say NO if he requested me to but something for him. I think most parents also have the same dilemma but when I started to set rules for this kid, I am fortunate since he also obeys. He asks permission if he can let me buy for him and when I say no and explain to him why I cannot, he understands BUT will look for another cheaper Item (good enough).

Got this for Dirk with the help of her Ninang working in BDO

At the age of 32, have I saved? and my answer is YES. My mantra is "Live within your means". Allocate wisely, track everything and spend within your budget. That is why in my planner, I always track down my expenses so I would know my limit.  For my savings, I opened a bank account for myself (Chinabank) and for Dirk (Maybank and BDO Junior), I never forced myself to save a huge amount cause it stresses me. What I did is I save a portion of my salary every month and deposit it to the bank.

I created this monthly tracker, just want to make it more personal.

Have I invested? and my answer is YES. I know I started late but better late than never. I was able to find a budget-friendly investment which  I pay every month (grateful for my  mom's friend who introduced this to me). It is an insurance / investment type and I am very much happy about it since it gives me peace of mind that in the near future, Dirk and I will have something to look forward to.

I received this token from Manulife

How about you? have you started saving or investing?


Comments